Cancer is a group of diseases in which the body produces an excess of malignant cells (known as cancerous or cancerous), with growth and division beyond the normal limits.
What causes it?
The main factors are:
- The genetic inheritance
- Certain viruses
- A chronic physical irritation
- prolonged exposure to ultraviolet radiation
- Natural radiations of space
- X-rays of radiographs
- Producer radioactive chemicals such as uranium and others
- Inadequate feeding
General signs and symptoms of cancer
You should know some of the general (non-specific) signs and symptoms of cancer. However, remember that having any of these signs or symptoms does not mean that you have cancer (many other things also cause these signs and symptoms).
Unexplained weight loss
Most people with cancer will experience weight loss at some point. An unexplained weight loss of 10 pounds or more (when you are not trying to lose weight) may be the first sign of cancer. This occurs more frequently in the case of cancer of the pancreas, stomach, esophagus or lung.
Fever is very common in patients who have cancer, although it occurs more often after the cancer has spread from the place where it started. Almost all cancer patients will experience fever at some point, especially if the cancer or its treatments affect the immune system. This can make it harder for the body to fight infections even more. Less frequently, fever can be an early sign of cancer, such as in the case of leukemia or lymphoma.
Tiredness is an extreme exhaustion that does not improve with rest. It can be an important symptom as the cancer progresses. Although it can occur in the early stages of the disease, as in leukemia, or if the disease causes blood loss, which can happen with some cancers of the colon or stomach.
Pain may be an initial symptom of some cancers, such as bone cancer or testicular cancer. A headache that does not go away or that does not respond to treatment can be a symptom of a brain tumor. Back pain can be a symptom of cancer of the colon, rectum or ovary. More often, the pain that is associated with cancer is a symptom of cancer that has already metastasized (spread from where it started).
Changes in the skin
Along with skin cancers (see next section), some other cancers can cause symptoms or signs that can be seen. These signs and symptoms include:
The treatment also varies according to the type of cancer and its stage Cancer Remedies. The cancer stage refers to how much it has grown and whether the tumor has spread from its original location.
- If the cancer is confined to one place and has not spread, the most common goals for treatment are surgery and healing. This is often the case with skin cancers, as are cancers of the lung, breast and colon.
- If the tumor has spread to only the local lymph nodes, they can sometimes be removed.
- If all the cancer cannot be completely removed by surgery, the treatment options are: radiotherapy, chemotherapy or both. Some types of cancer require the combination of surgery, radiation and chemotherapy.
Although treatment for cancer can be difficult, there are many ways to maintain strength.
If you are being treated with radiation therapy, know that:
- The treatment with radiation is painless.
- The treatment is usually scheduled for every weekday.
- You must use 30 minutes for each treatment session, although the treatment itself usually takes only a few minutes.
- You should keep plenty of rest and consume a well-balanced diet during the course of radiation therapy.
- The skin in the treated area can become sensitive and easily irritated.
- The side effects of radiation therapy are usually temporary and vary depending on the area of the body being treated.
If you are doing chemotherapy, you should eat well. Chemotherapy causes the immune system to weaken, so you should avoid people with colds or flu. Likewise, you should keep a lot of rest and not think that you have to do all the tasks at once.
Expressing feelings with family, friends or a support group can be helpful. Work with the doctors throughout the treatment. The fact of helping oneself can make one feel more in control.